As a church leader, what should I do when someone I lead feels called to missions? I’m so excited that members of our body are seeking to live out the Great Commission cross-culturally, where do I begin to support them as they respond to God’s call? Who should I involve? How do we as leaders help to SEND them out?
At MSC, we’re committed to a model of missions that has God’s glory through the local church at the centre. If that’s your heart too, keep reading – we exist to encourage and enable local church leaders like you!
Before anything else, one vital note: Remember to pray! What we all want is for God to do the work only He can – rescuing sinners, lavishing His grace, giving strength and wisdom to disciple others – and these things will happen in response to the fervent, earnest prayers of His people.
The process begins as you ASSESS the candidate.
- Pray with, love, and encourage them.
- Have an interview and ask the tough questions.
- Fill out questionnaires.
- Notify MSC.
PREPARE as a church to send this worker out.
- Plan out commendation.
- Help your worker consider logistics and training options.
- Let us help you with the legal, logistical, and financial setup.
Send them off properly as you COMMEND them.
- Consider Acts 14:26.
- Rally your church behind the worker.
- Write and submit a Letter of Commendation.
- You and your worker meet with MSC.
Share in the work as you SUPPORT your worker.
- Provide spiritual care, direction, and accountability.
- Encourage them with stories of God’s work “back home.”
- Be the means of God’s provision for their needs.
As you think through how to SEND one of your own, we break the process down into to four key steps: Assess, Prepare, Commend, Support. Each of these steps is slightly different depending on the category of mission worker that you are preparing to send. To get started, choose the category below that best fits your missionary candidate:EXTENDED TERM (more than six months) LONG TERM (permanent or indefinite relocation) HOME WORKER (serving in Canada)